Developing leadership through employment & entrepreneurship
Youth UpRising develops the leadership of youth in the community through employment and entrepreneurship. We do this with three core activities, Social Enterprise Hub, Job Training program and Community Entrepreneurship.
Social Enterprise Hub
When Youth UpRising first began connecting youth to employment opportunities, they realized many employers weren't able to provide the training and support many of the youth needed. Many young people needed extra support and flexibility in order to succeed in their job. That's were social enterprise comes in.
Youth UpRising started businesses that would create employment opportunities for youth. They would join a professional work environment that understands their context and what they need, while providing skills they can transfer to future employment.
There are currently three active social enterprises, Corners Cafe & Catering, YU Green and YU Create. Each social enterprise functions as a business within the larger organization. Each social enterprise has a Manager, two of the three managers began as trainees themselves and worked up to run the social enterprise in which they worked.
The YU social enterprises offer leadership, employment and growth opportunities for youth while providing services that bring value back to the community.
Job Training Program
YU is committed to transforming the lives of young people by equipping them with the skills, training and experience they need to become self-sufficient and productive members of society.
ON THE JOB TRAINING
- Employment in social enterprise
- Tiered responsibility allows growth on the job
- Manager supervision leads to in the moment feedback and application of learning
- Emphasis on the importance of attendance, behavior and work ethic translate to future employment advantages
PROFESSIONAL SKILLS DEVELOPMENT
- Job readiness and career exploration activities, including workshops, speakers and more
- Includes involvement from experts and professionals from other YU programs as well as in the greater community
- Team Day: Every month crews meet to regroup, reflect and receiving training
- Trainees have a H.S. Diploma, G.E.D or are connected to GED courses
- Explore College options
- Explore additional certifications and training
- Create an academic plan if additional educational options are available
- A plan will be created to assist youth navigate through new experience and prepare for permanent employment.
- We will manage the trainees progress through weekly check-ins and evaluations
- Assessment Scheduled During Orientation
- Case Manager Assignment
- Weekly check in with Case Manager
Youth UpRising hopes to serve as the hub of a growing entrepreneurial and small business owner support eco-system in East Oakland. We are located in a community filled with ideas, entrepreneurs and potential. Youth UpRising is exploring efforts that will encourage locally owned businesses that bring value and opportunity to our neighborhood.